Cotlands launches IGNITE™, an innovative e-learning and recognition of prior learning training platform.
Cotlands launched the first innovative online training and recognition of prior learning platform in May 2020. This online training programme is a pilot programme and alpha testing is currently underway with our first intake of learners.
ECD landscape in South Africa.
South Africa has a massive skills shortage of qualified ECD Level 4 practitioners in the early education sector. To address the skilled workforce shortage; Cotlands has designed an online training platform called IGNITE™. Through this platform, Cotlands aims to strengthen the skills in the sector and improve the quality of our ECD workforce. Through online learning, we hope to reach practitioners all across the country so that we increase and improve access of quality early learning services for marginalised children nationally.
Some key facts that highlight the need to invest our resources and knowledge in developing and growing the skill-base in the ECD sector:
- 84% of the country’s population under the age of 6 DO NOT receive access to early learning.
- There is a shortage of 400 000 ECD practitioners in the country to serve the above-mentioned 84%. Outlying rural areas are the worst affected.
- Over the past 14 years, only 22 000 practitioners graduated on the national learner database.
- Children learn and build 50% of their lifetime learning capacity in the first seven years.
Online training courses offered on IGNITE™
Course 1: Early Childhood Development L4 occupational certificate (OCECD)
Course 2 : Early Childhood Development L4 occupational certificate through recognition of prior learning (RPL)
Course 3: Toy Library skills programme
Minimum entry requirements
- NQF L4/Grade 12
- Anyone who has worked in the field for at least two years